HOW TO MAKE YOUR CV WORK TO GET YOU THAT INTERVIEW INSTEAD OF GETTING DELETED BY BOTS
“I’ve been applying for past 2 months and I must have sent over 50 applications but I’ve heard nothing but rejections."
You’re not alone.
Every graduate goes through this.
Every graduate applies to every job they can possibly find and for you to get ahead in this intensely competitive job market and start getting positive responses, you need to change your strategy.
5 things you can do to improve your CV today
- Lead with a strong, persuasive professional summary statement.
- Use impact statements instead of generic job descriptions.
- Highlight your transferable skills throughout your CV.
- Include specific keywords that link uniquely to the industry, the company and the role you are applying for.
- Place your technical skills between a transferable skill and a result.
“You must tailor your CV to the job and then it’ll work.”
Heard this before?
I’m sure you have. And I’m sure it hasn’t worked.
This is one of the most common pieces of advice given to any job seeker today by a number of trusted sources like recruiters and career services and the reason it doesn’t work is,
- What you’re doing to “tailor” your CV to the job you’re applying for is being done by every other applicant and so your application is not unique.
- Application tracking software assesses your CV and because it is just like every other graduate application, it is deemed generic and promptly deleted.
Can you beat the bots?
Here’s the good news - if you know what the software is looking for to filter out applications, then you can reverse engineer your CV to make sure it gets through.
A general rule of thumb is to make your application so focused and so specific for that particular job that it cannot possibly be used for any other job.
That doesn’t sound like an easy, quick thing to do, right?
Well, it’s not.
It requires work but it can certainly be done. The important thing to focus on is that this is a strategy that actually works and delivers results.
As a Professionals Australia member, you can have your CV reviewed for a specific job application by one of our experts. Just click here
to schedule a Resume Review so your job applications start delivering results.